Monday, July 16, 2012

Danny's BBQ

In Carlsbad New Mexico there's an old Dairy Queen that became a BBQ joint. From the stories I've heard they were a Dairy Queen franchiser that sold BBQ. Corporate Dairy Queen didn't really care for this and they had some issues with the menu that wasn't the DQ menu, so they became a BBQ joint.  I was familiar with Red Chimney in Carlsbad, but I did not hear about Danny's BBQ until read "America's Best BBQ: 100 Recipes from America's Best Smokehouses, Pits, Shacks, Rib Joints, Roadhouses, and Restaurants." The staff is not well organized, but it's small town New Mexico. When I arrived there were about a half dozen staff standing around. I was instructed to seat where ever I wanted so I chose a small table near the front of the restaurant. I arrived about 6 PM on a Thursday night so it was slow at first. The service was just OK and the restaurant was clean. They do not have a mutli-meat combo but the server was nice enough to ask the manager for me, I was able to get a cross section of the meat that they serve. I didn't really care for the sauce; I think one was mustard and the other was vinegar based. The meat was phenomenal for a BBQ restaurant, meaning it was not overcooked according to certain standards; for example, fall off the bone ribs are bad. It was interesting to see that BBQ rub was sprinkled on the pulled pork and this was a good touch to layer flavor on perfectly cooked meat. The ribs were amazing, not overcooked and great flavor. The sides I ordered were the fried okra and beans. The beans were over done and the fried okra was fried okra, you can deep fry anything and it would be tasty.  I would give Danny's BBQ three out of five stars.

http://www.dannysbbq.com/

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home