Wednesday, July 13, 2011

bRgR

bRgR is a few letters short of burger, but does the place make up for the missing letters? I first heard about bRgR from ABQ Beer Geek. He wrote about this place because of their selection of craft beer. Their selection is good, but not great. They have a "house" beer, Sierra Blanca Beer, Santa Fe Brewing Co, Marble Beer, a few Colorado breweries that are available at most reputable bars, a few beers from Sierra Nevada and Kona. Their house beer is just Sierra Blanca Beer read Isotopes, bRgR house beer, Rio Grande Brewing company and a few others. Sierra Blanca beer is OK; I've drank worse beer, but you know how that goes. I was impressed that they had the Santa Fe Brewing Company Java Stout. It was the second time I've seen it on tap. The servings of beer are not full pints, but at a price of $3.00 for craft beer you can't gripe too much. I read the other day that burgers were going to be the next "bubble" which is unfortunate because a great burger truly is a culinary marvel.

The front of the house is well done with decor and color scheme, but the back needs some work. Th
e bathrooms are small and an afterthought. The napkin dispenser pictured above has of a really happy lady holding a burger and the text describes their happy hour that doesn't exist. I brought the happy hour topic at the specified time with my server and she looked at me like I was a spaceman. I then pointed to the napkin dispenser and she then informed me that this was not something they were doing currently. On their website it's advertised as meat and greet with meatballs, mac & cheese, and beer flights. I was not impressed that the staff was uninformed and they are advertizing for something that is non existent, so it's like I'm selling my unicorn and I don't know anything about it. They did allow me to try all of their house beers which was cool, but standard practice for most micro brew sort of establishments.

I ordered two sides: mac and cheese, french fries, a mojo mind hamburger, and a Java Stout for my dinner. My meal ran about $20 which was not bad for a great hamburger. The mac & cheese did have an pretty awesome flavor with panko topping which provided a great texture and is very similar to my mac & cheese. They cook their burgers to "medium" but not my sort of medium next time I will go medium rare, but I like rare meat. The mojo sauce was pretty good, but watery. It was very similar to a sort of oil based salad dressing. The fries I asked to be cooked extra crispy because I read from other reviews the fries tend to be soft. I took the advice and the fries were good. I like the attention to detail with the presentation and quality of food. I like bRgR it's novel, had good food, but has a lot of things to work out.
Three stars out of five.

http://www.brgrabq.com/




Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home