Saturday, September 26, 2009

Helen's Bakery


Context is important to take in consideration with many facets of life, including dinning. For example, can you expect McDonald's to offer the same quality of food or service as Ruth's Chris Steakhouse? Absolutely not, as the age old saying goes, you get what you pay for. The other day, I was motivated to try Helen's Bakery despite how close it was to the State Fair and I don't really care for the crowds at the fair.

As a good internet junkie, I Google Helen's Bakery and return with lackluster results. I am able to get reviews, but no phone number, address, or website. I have to go to an online review to get an address and have to ask people if they know where this place is. I get estimates, but no concrete answers which I have a hard time due to my OCD. So I commit to making the trek to Helen's Bakery on San Pedro somewhere north of Lomas. I parked close to where the establishment should be, but have to search on foot. It's not easy to find. The place is a panaderia or Spanish bakery. The furniture is mismatched and not well organized. The establishment is a dive. The staff did not speak English, so I had to order with my broken Spanish, but I got what I wanted.

I ordered a small menudo and a dozen tamales to go. The menudo was excellent and the tamales were great. The matza was not dry at all. The food at Helen's is great. The other aspects are lacking, but remember context. I would give Helen's Bakery a rating of three and a half stars out of five.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger John said...

I go to Helen's Bakery or panaderia a lot both alone and with friends. The menudo and pozole or posole are excellent as are the rolls or pan blanco, cookies or galletas, and dessert or sweet breads called pan dulce. Due to the building it is in being old sometimes it appears as though the bakery is closed but it is open. If you are in ABQ or are visiting there's an excellent Chinese food restaurant called Chopstix in the Smith's supermarket shopping center across from Helen's bakery on San Pedro.

February 13, 2014 at 10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home