Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Orchid Thai Cuisine

Yesterday I had the pleasure of dining with some friends that I do not get to see too often. Since one of us was a tourist, it was great to try one of the highest rated Thai restaurants in Albuquerque according to a few publications; for example, the Alibi and Albuquerque the Magazine. I always wanted to try the Orchid, but never made the trek to that part of Central for Thai food. I arrived a little before six in the evening on a Tuesday and most of the party was already there. The restaurant is a mixture of many different things, for instance, you'll see the "light towers" which are pillars with a cloth on top that flaps and shines a light to simulate a flame while the walls are covered with beer adds and what appears to be traditional Thai art. Adding to the mixture, the dishes and silverware are mismatched.

When I arrive there are only a few patrons other than our party and there are three servers. It takes them a few minutes to take our drink order, but the drinks do come eventually. I also order two appetizers: chicken satay and a grilled shrimp on a skewer. The last member of our party arrives about a quarter after six and the appetizers are not out yet. He gets his beverage before the dishes come out. I'm amazed by the slow speed of the kitchen due to the low number of patrons. We place our orders and one in the party notices that prices are not listed for wine. I am unsure if this is for all of the alcoholic beverages, but I am surprised that the price is not listed. I ordered a Basil chicken dish extra hot and it is extra hot. I also ask for additional chili and it is brought in a carrier with four jars. There are peppers, chili oil, chili powder, and one other that I cannot recall.
The dish is excellent, but the dishes came out at different times. The dishes were all ordered at the same time, but come out over a span of fifteen or so minutes. I did not want to start before everyone else got their food so my food got a little cold. On the bright side all of the dishes tasted great.

Do not go here for atmosphere or quick service. The servers were luke warm in attitude, by no means where they rude, but the servers were slow and oblivious to the details. If you do have time and do not mind the lack luster service by all means go there for great Thai food. I would give Orchid two out of five stars.

http://www.orchidthaicuisine.com/index.html

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home