Sunday, August 3, 2008

Genghis Grill

I was excited a few months ago to see that a Genghis Grill was coming to Albuquerque and near work. The last time I ate at a Genghis Grill was summer of 2003 in Dallas. It recently opened and I have been there a few times since the opening. Since then they have changed the format a little. Instead of walking up to a counter and filling a bowl of various food items immediately; you are seated by a hostess while carrying your raw food bowl, a server takes your drink orders, and then you are sent to the line with instruction if you need it.

Being that it is near offices lunch during the week is pretty tough to get in and out quickly. Genghis Grill opened up shop where the Krispy Kream used to be. The layout of the location that we have here is not conducive for what this restaurant needs, but oh well. What I mean by this is that where lines form, does not allow for easy access or traffic.

The times I have been the service has been great. The servers have been prompt, attentive, and personable. They have been willing to show the process flow, in other words, walk you over the counter and give you the run down of how things work.

You basically walk up with your metal bowl and fill it with various ingredients. If the food is bad, the customer made bad choices. They do have a “paint by numbers” sort of thing that gives you a how to make your food bowl. The most common complaints that I have heard were I did not know what to put in my bowl or I was unsure of what the outcome was going to be. I guess my companions did not want to do the “paint by numbers.”

You go to the counter with your metal bowl and fill it with various things. The first stop is the protein counter, you get the option of a myriad of proteins: scallops, beef of different types, pork, shrimp, and vegetarian options that I did not pay attention to because I love dead animals. The second stop is the spice station. They recommend that you only use one spoon unless that you’re a seasoned veteran, bad pun I know, but the seasoning is pretty potent. Then you move on to a veggie station. The last part where you put something in a bowl is the sauce station. Here you put your sauce choice into a condiment bowl. The G Grill is clever because they have sampling spoon near by so you can sample the sauce before you commit. Your last stop is the starch station; here you can choose white or brown rice, noodles, fried rice and a few other starches that I did not pay attention to. You are then given a number and return to you seat. The food is brought to you in a weird tilted bowl with the stuff you choose.

All in all, Genghis Grill is a great idea and the food you get is the food you chose. The authenticity is horrible. The only Mongolian thing in there is the round grill that they cook on, but I don’t think Mongolian food is really that popular in mainstream America. If I had to classify this restaurant, I would call it Americanized Asian food cooked on a Mongolian invented grill. I would give Genghis Grill three and a half stars out of five.


http://www.genghisgrill.com/

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home